Hello, this is Chief Jamie Williams with the Barstow Fire Protection District. As you may know the community depends on the Barstow Fire Protection District to provide much more than fire suppression services. The Barstow Fire Protection District is an all-risk agency that must ensure for the continued provision of fire, emergency medical, hazardous materials, technical rescue, community preparedness, public education, and fire prevention services to meet the demonstrated needs of the community.
I wanted to take a moment to share with you some information regarding our activities over this past quarter.
• From January 01 2017 through March 07 2017 the Barstow Fire Protection District responded to 1,105 emergency incidents
• Response Time Averages:
En route: 1:20
To Scene 07:04
Back in service 25:19
• Busiest day of the week continues to be Monday averaging 65% of the calls for the quarter.
• Barstow Firefighters spent 120 hours training on topics including pre-plans, structural firefighting, Officer training and firefighter proficiency.
• Barstow Fire District has seen an increase in transient fires in areas like tree lines near BNSF and north of Rimrock east of the sports park
• Barstow Firefighters have had several significant EMS saves during this quarter
o 3- Full arrest patients
o 2- Repertory distress patients
o 1 Anaphylactic Shock Patient
• Barstow Firefighters conducted 5 public education events in the community
• Week of January 23 – Conducted interviews for paid call firefighters
• January 2724 Chief Williams participated in Celebrating Women in Math and Science Luncheon at Victor Valley College
• Personnel conducted initial Program/Project Strength Weaknesses Opportunities & Threats analysis. Programs/projects include:
o Standard Operating Procedure/Policy’s
o Hazmat/Weapons of Mass Destruction
o Emergency Medical System
o Self Contained Breathing Apparatus Wellness/Fitness
o Hose testing
• Fire District received five sets of Ballistic Gear for active shooter response. This was a FY 2015 regional grant awarded to San Bernardino County operation area.
• Firefighter Paramedic testing was conducted March 2, 3 and 7. Two candidates will move on to Fire Chief Oral Interview.
• Two Firefighter/Paramedics have resigned moving on to other southern California area departments.