Hello, this is Terri Peralta, Superintendent for our City's Park and Recreation Department. I would like to take a moment to provide you with a calendar of upcoming events. We hope you continue to enjoy the various amenities of our parks and citywide facilities.
Parks and Recreation
• The Parks and Recreation Department recently open registration for the 2017-2018 Tot Time Program.
• We had an amazing turnout for both the morning and after classes, and we are almost at full capacity.
• Registration just closed for the Indoor Kiddie Soccer for ages 2 to 3 years old and ended up with over 95 kids enrolled. Games started on Sept 14th.
• The Community Center hosts the Blood Bank every second Tuesday of each month from 1-8pm. Please come by and help our community by donating blood.
• The County of San Bernardino has returned to Barstow with their Free Legal Aid program. They use the portable classroom located at the Cora Harper Fitness Center from 12 – 2 pm on the 4th Tuesday of each month.
• The Pool opened on Memorial Day with a great turnout from the community. Many of our older community members enjoyed lap swimming as a way of relaxation and for fitness. We closed out our season on Labor Day.
• Zumba & Volleyball were added to our list of programs, and classes continue to grow each month.
• The Parks & Youth Advisory Council joined up with the Kiwanis Club of Barstow to put on a “Family Fun Day “on July 22nd which started out with a live free concert. The Kiwanis provided a Bounce House and Laser Tag; while we opened the pool free for swimming to the public. The Fire and Police Explorers pitched in and provided booths teaching safety awareness. We ended the night with the help of the Barstow Youth Advisory Council putting on a Movie in the Park! Moana was a perfect movie to end a perfect night. The event supplied a day of fun for over 2,000 people.
• Our Parks Maintenance Department continue to work vigorously to ensure that all of our parks and ballfields are maintained at the highest standards for our community. They have just completed painting the entire exterior of both snack bars.
• At the Sportspark, we have many ongoing Youth recreation soccer, adult soccer, Coed and Men’s Softball League. The Sportspark hosted the District 49 LL Softball Tournament along with the Major and Senior League Tournaments.
• The Barstow High School and Stem Academy has started their 2017/18 Cross Country Season up at the Sportspark.
• The 4th of July Celebration at the Sportspark included our largest ever participation of the 5K Freedom Run with over 135 people consisting of all ages.
• Our Parks and Recreation Division assist with many community events throughout the year and we enjoy interacting with the community during these times. We look forward to helping with more community events in the future.