"I would like to welcome you to the City of Barstow’s Quarterly Newsletter. These newsletters are designed to help the public stay informed regarding the latest departmental happenings by providing in depth information into projects, events and citywide efforts to improve the quality of life for residents and travelers."
Mayor Julie Hackbarth-McIntyre
On behalf of the Barstow City Council
Please click on the link below to direct you to the page for Quarterly Updates by Department.
1st Quarter Newsletter 2017
• The NASA Science on a Sphere Exhibit has had a very successful 6 month run with over 5000 in attendance since its opening in October 2016. The exhibit is set to close on Saturday, March 25th. That day will feature numerous guest speakers, science exhibits on display from our local school district students who have advanced to County competition, and will be free to the public.
• The City Clerk’s Office and Youth Council are partnering with the Barstow College Promise Committee to assist in marketing the opportunity for our High School Graduates (Barstow/Silver Valley/Baker) to be able to go to college with tuition/books and ancillary costs covered for one year / possibly the second year at no or low cost to receive an academic Associates or a Certificate through the Technical College.
• From the Community Development Department, the economic recovery is in full bloom in Barstow, with several new commercial enterprises opening their doors in 2016 and numerous additional retail stores, hotels and service establishments preparing to break ground or open in 2017.
• Over the last few months, the Field Services Department has been busy completing the usual tasks for this time of year. In January, we took down all the Holiday decorations, cleaned up after winter storms, did sign maintenance, filled potholes and removed graffiti.
• From Environmental Services, in March – there will be an introduction and launch of new Facebook page, "Barstow Recycles" for all Solid Waste information for the City; i.e. events and notifications, “how to”, ideas and more…Like us on Facebook to learn when the next Free Dump Day will be!
• From the Film Office our efforts secured an upcoming episode of TOP GEAR hosted by former Friends Co-Star Matt LeBlanc will be filmed at Slash-X in mid-March.
• The Finance Department has hired a new Finance Director. After almost 20 years of service, Mary Stapp, will be retiring and handing over the helm to Patricia Rosenberg. Pat has experience in city government as a Finance Manager with the City of Victorville. She resides in Barstow and is excited to join the Finance Department Team!
• From January 01 2017 through March 07 2017 the Barstow Fire Protection District responded to 1,105 emergency incidents.
• The Dino Ebel Baseball Clinic was another success this year with over 100 kids coming out to learn basic skills from local professional players Aaron Sanchez, Danny Norman, Matt Mitchell, Austyn Willis, and Frank Maldonado.
• The Barstow Police Department coordinated and conducted a multi-agency active shooter exercise at Barstow Junior High School. Prior to conducting the exercise, active shooter training provided to Barstow Junior High School employees. The organizations that participated in the active shooter exercise were the Barstow Fire Protection District, California Highway Patrol, and Desert Ambulance.
• The Wastewater Treatment Plan saw completion of the mainline sewer project, roughly 3 1/2 years in the making.