Adopt-a-Block is a program that is dedicated to improving the quality of life and revitalizing the economy through nuisance abatement activities and events that bring Barstow neighborhoods together. This program provides individuals, groups of residents and local organizations with the opportunity to volunteer and take responsibility for enhancing our community— one block at a time.
To empower diverse individuals within our community to successfully improve the quality of life in the City of Barstow building-by-building and block-by-block. We want to recruit and organize community neighbors to create activities that promote safety, culture, social harmony and economic viability.
Adopt-A-Block activities may include the following:
- Lending a hand to help beautify a neighborhood block
- Helping someone remove graffiti
- Picking up rubbish
- Handing out educational materials
- Lending a hand to those in need
- Conducting other activities designed to bring neighbors together to better our community
The City will assist the volunteers in obtaining supplies; arranging for waiver of tipping fees at the landfill; local media coverage and coordinating blocks to be adopted. This is essentially a FREE Service for the residents of Barstow.
How to Get Started:
Interested individuals, groups and organizations should complete an application form (Adopt A Block Certification Form) and, upon approval, an agreement is made which defines the terms and conditions for the adoption. Each “adoption” is unique. Groups and organizations committing to the program (generally) agree to:
- Provide at least two adult supervisors for every ten youth volunteers (under age 18)
- Conduct at least two safety meetings per year
- Adopt a portion of a designated block that is a minimum of 200 linear feet
- Commit for a minimum of a two-year period
- Conduct a minimum of four activities per year
Persons desiring to form a group to adopt a block or requesting additional information should contact:
Days and Hours of Operation
Monday—Friday, 7:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.
Alternating Fridays Closed
Environmental Services Administrator
220 E. Mountain View St., Suite A
Barstow, CA 92311