You are invited to take the High Desert Survey to express your thoughts on how we can improve the quality of life for residents of the High Desert!

Click here to access the survey

Starting a Business Checklist

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

All new businesses may be required to do the following:

  • Obtain Sales Tax (Reseller’s) License
     Visit the State Board of Equalization website ( or call (800) 400- 7115.
  • Obtain a City Business License:
    Fill out a Business License Application (link here to form) and contact the  Business Tax License Section of the Records Department at (760) 255-5123.
  • Obtain a Federal or State Employer I.D. Number
    Federal-Call Internal Revenue Service at (800) 424-3676 or
    State-Employment Development Department at (888) 745-3886 or

Are you building a new structure or renovating an existing structure?
Visit the Planning Division  or call (760) 255-5152 for the  required design reviews and plan checks.
Visit the Building Division  or call (760) 255-5159 for building permits,  inspections and a Certificate of Occupancy.

Are you establishing a business in an existing building?
Visit the Planning Department website to ensure that your proposed use of the  property is allowed in the location you desire or call (760) 255-5152.

Do you need to get your utilities turned on?
Gas visit
Electric vist
Sewer/Trash Burrtec  (760) 256-2730

Do you need to obtain Environmental Health Permits?
Contact County of San Bernardino-Environmental Health Services at (760) 243- 3773 or (909) 884-4056.

Are you providing temporary lodging to customers?
Contact the Business Tax Section of the City of Barstow at (760) 255-5123 to find  out whether you are subject to Transient Occupancy Tax.

Other useful contacts:
Barstow Area Chamber of Commerce   (760) 256-8617
City of Barstow Economic Development Department
Barstow Fire District 861 Barstow Road, Barstow, CA   (760) 256-2254