Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Listed By Department:


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  Address the City Council during a public meeting?  Top
A:  Every City Council meeting provides time for public comments regarding items on the agenda. Citizens may also speak on items not on the agenda during the Public Comment portion of the meeting, however, the Council cannot address any issues not previously included on the agenda. The City Council may receive the comment and set the matter for a subsequent meeting. Before the City Council meeting begins, complete a white Request to Speak card indicating the item you would like to speak on or if you would like to speak during the Public Comment period. Your speaker card should be given to the City Clerk before the meeting starts. Request to Speak cards are located in the Council Chamber lobby.

If someone is interested in an item or would like to make a statement during Public Comments but would rather write their comments instead of speaking at the podium, Written Statement Cards are also provided. Written Statement comments are reviewed by the City Clerk and read during Public Comments. The Written Statement Card Should be given to the City Clerk before the Council Meeting begins. The Mayor will call your name when the Council gets to that item on the agenda.

Q:  Apply for a Passport? Top
A:The City of Barstow provides Passport processing services. The City accepts walk-in applicants based on workflow, but setting an appointment is appreciated and can be made by calling (760) 255-5171 or (760) 255-5123. This will ensure the best quality of service. For more information regarding requirements for applying for a U.S. Passport you can visit the City’s passport information page  or visit the U.S. Department of State’s website.

Q: File a claim or subpoena with the City of Barstow? Top
A:  All claims or subpoenas filed against the City of Barstow are done through the City Clerk’s Department. Claim forms are available at City Hall located at 220 E. Mountain View St. Suite A or download claim form. All information on the application should be filled out and submitted with three estimates. An original copy is required to be filed with the City Clerk’s office.

Q: File a Request for Public Record with the City of Barstow? Top
A: Copies of City records are available upon request from the City Clerk’s office at a cost of $.25 per page except for Campaign Statements. Records are also available via fax or e-mail at not charge. Request for Public Record forms are available through the City Clerk’s office or you may go download copy of the request for public record application. You may file the application with the City Clerk’s office at 220 E. Mountain View St. or fax the request to (760) 256-1750. The City Clerk will respond to all requests as soon as possible, but not later than the ten day period, or extensions thereof, as provided by Government Code Section 6253.

Q: Contact the local Superior Court? Top
A: The San Bernardino County Superior Court in Barstow is located at 225 E. Mountain View St. To contact the Traffic Court Division at (760) 718-3700.  For Civil/Restraining Orders you can reach the court at (760) 718-3734. Their offices are open Tuesday thru Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  The website is:

Q:  File a Fictitious Business Name? Top

A:  Visit the San Bernardino County Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk website  ( or call (855) 732-2576.

Q: Start a Business? Top

A: Click here for a Business License Application 

B: Visit Small Business Administration for more information.


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  Obtain a Banner/Sign Permit? Top
A:  If you would like to post a banner at your business, please review the sign ordinance BMC 19.78.200.  Banners are considered temporary signage and may be posted once a banner permit has been obtained through the Building Department at City Hall.  Banners are to be used to advertise special events and may be posted for no longer than 30 days; four times per year (not consecutively). 

Q:  Obtain a Graffiti Abatement Form? Top
A:  Download Graffiti Abatement Form. If your property has been tagged and you would like the City to remove the graffiti (free of charge), you must complete an abatement form prior and submit to the Code Compliance Department.  Once received, the Public Works Department will be advised that you would like the graffiti removed.

Q:  Find out about Car Washes Fundraiser? Top
A:  If you want to have a car wash it must be held on a property where a car wash is already established.  You would need to speak with the business owner regarding this type of fundraiser.

Q:  Find out about Yard Sales? Top
A:  You may have a yard sale four times per year no more than three days in a row.  Yard sale signs are not to be posted on stop signs, street signs, light poles or in the City right-of-way (i.e. sidewalks).

Q:  Find out what is CVC 22651K Violation? Top
A:  Vehicles parked in the street are to be moved every three days.  If a vehicle is yellow tagged and not moved within three days it may be subject to tow and cite.

Q:  Find out what is an Inop Vehicle? Top
A:  If vehicles do not operate, they are considering inoperative.  Vehicles parked in the driveway with flat tires, debris gathered below, broken windows, etc are considered inoperative and are to be stored where they are not visible from the right-of-way on improved ground.


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  Find the City Budget? Top
A:  Click on City Budget

Q:  Obtain Lien Information / Demand Information? Top
A:  For Sewer or Trash Liens            Contact Burrtec @ (760) 256-2730
     Administrative Liens                      Contact City of Barstow-Finance @ (760) 255-5120


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  Obtain Certificate of Insurance OR Special Event Insurance  
A:  Contact Heidy Riley at (760) 255-5151 or Email


HOW DO I . . .

Q: Where is the Barstow Police Department located? Top
A:  The Barstow Police Department is located at 220 East Mountain View Street, Suite B, Barstow, CA 92311. We are located on the southwest corner of Mountain View Street and Belinda Street. Our business office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday. Business offices are closed weekends and on city observed holidays.

Q:  How do I contact the Barstow Superior Court? Top
A:  The Superior Court is located at 235 East Mountain View Street is a separate government entity, visit for more information.

Q:  Who can I contact for release of my property? Top
A:  Please contact the Evidence Section for an appointment at (760) 255-5137 or (760) 255-5150.

Q:  I want to pay my parking citation, where do I go? Top
A:  Parking citations may be paid at the front counter of the Barstow Police Department or be mailed to:
Barstow Police Department – 220 E. Mountain View St., Suite B, Barstow, CA 92311

Q:  What if is the process if I don’t agree with my parking ticket? Top
A:  Parking citations are handled by a Hearing Officer hired by the City of Barstow. You may contest a parking citation by the following process:
(1) You may request an administrative review in person, via telephone or mail. This request must be made within 21 days of the issuance of a notice of parking violation (citation) or within 10 days of the mailing of the notice of delinquent parking violation.
(2) If you disagree with the results of your administrative review, you may request an Administrative Hearing by contacting (760) 255-5111.

Q.  Who do I call if my vehicle was repossessed?  Top
A:  You must contact the lien holder of the vehicle. Generally, this is the person or company to which you make your payments. The lien holder may refer you to the police department to pay a $15 fee. Upon payment of the fee you will be issued a receipt by the police department. You must then show this receipt to the lien holder.

Q:  How to Obtain a Vehicle Release Top
A:  For questions regarding the release of your vehicle you will need to contact the dayshift Watch Commander at (760) 256-2211.

Q.  What is the difference between the Police Department, Highway Patrol, and Sheriff’s Department? Top
A.  The Barstow Police Department services the jurisdictions within the city limits, click here for map.
A.  The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department services the jurisdictions outside city limits in the county boundaries, click here for map. 
The California Highway Patrol (Barstow office) services parts of the I-15 and I-40 highways, click her for map.

Q.  Where can I get a handicapped parking permit? Top
A.  Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 1-800-777-0133. The Barstow office is located at 528 E. Virginia Way, Barstow, CA 92311.

Q:  Who do I call to find out if someone is in custody? Top
A:  You may contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Jail at (760) 256-4846.

Q:  Request a Copy of a Police Report or Call for Service Record? Top
A:  You may request a copy of a report or call for service record by mail, or in person. Contact the Records Bureau during business hours at (760) 255-5111.  If your request is made by mail you will need to provide a clear and legible photocopy of your current California driver’s license or identification card; or current out-of-state driver’s license or identification card. Your request can be mailed to: Barstow Police Department, ATTN: Records, 220 E. Mountain View St., Suite B, Barstow, CA 92311 along with a check or money order for $1. All checks are made payable to the City of Barstow.

A photocopy of the report or call for service record will be mailed to the requestor at the address provided. Please allow 12-15 days for processing of the request.

Q:  How can I obtain a copy of a police report involving a minor? Top
A:  Any cases involving a minor will require a juvenile court approval prior to release, click here to download form (For Spanish version: click here).

Q:  I was a victim of a crime. How can I get follow up information regarding the incident? Top
A:  During business hours, you can call the business office at (760) 255-5111. It is helpful to have the investigating officer’s name and the case number assigned to your event. This will help to determine the appropriate contact person. If you don't have the above information, our Records staff will assist you.

Q:  I need to be fingerprinted for Visa/Immigration, what do I do?  Top
A:  The California Department of Justice provides an automated service for criminal history background checks that may be required as a condition of employment, licensing, certification, foreign adoptions or VISA/Immigration clearances. For more information and to obtain instructions related to a criminal history background check,  visit

Q:  How can I contact the Barstow Police Department after business hours?  Top
A:  Our dispatch center is available 24 hours, 7 days a week and can be reached by calling (760) 256-2211 (non-emergency), or 9-1-1 (emergency). There is also a "call box" located outside the front door of the Barstow Police Department which directly connects the public to our Dispatch Center.

Q:  When did the new wireless telephone laws take effect? Top
A:  The new laws took effect July 1, 2008 visit for more information from the California Highway Patrol.

Q:  What is the difference between the two laws? Top
A:  The first law prohibits all drivers from using a handheld wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle. (Vehicle Code (VC) 23123). Motorists 18 and over may use a hands-free device. The second law prohibits drivers under the age of 18 from using a wireless telephone or a hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle (VC 23124).

Q:  Who is required to wear a seat belt in a vehicle? Top
A:  Under CVC Section 27315, everyone in your vehicle must be securely fastened in a safety belt. This is regardless of age, seating location, etc. As the driver of the vehicle, you can be given a citation if you or anyone else in your vehicle is not wearing their seat belt.

Q:  When does a child have to be in a child safety seat? Top
A:  Please visit for more information.


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  Is it true that CRTs are hazardous waste? Top
A:  Yes. CRTs, whole, intact computer monitors and televisions are considered to be hazardous waste under federal and state law when they are discarded. For this reason, CRTs can no longer be placed in the trash.

Q:  Is there any risk associated with handling CRTs? Top
A:  Even though CRTs meet the federal and State criteria that identify them as hazardous wastes there is no health hazard associated with using, storing or transporting intact monitors or televisions.

Q:  How should CRTs be stored? Top
A:  Persons should store CRTs in a safe manner that prevents the CRT from being broken and the subsequent release of glass to the environment.

Q:  Can CRTs be recycled? Top
A:  CRTs can be recycled, but not through the City’s curbside programs.  The glass can be used to make new cathode ray tubes or the lead can be recovered from the CRT through smelting.


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  If CRTs are hazardous waste, how do I get rid of my old monitor or television? Top
A:  If the monitor or television still works, finding someone else that can use it is the best option. Often, by asking friends and neighbors, one can find a new user for the item. Another option is to donate the monitor or television to an organization that accepts working monitors and television and redirects them to a new user. In fact, there are donation programs that specialize in computer equipment.

Q:  What if I cannot find a new user for my CRT? Top
A:  If you cannot find a new user for your unwanted monitor or television or a donation program that will accept it, then you should take it to a recycler. 

Q:  Can I take my CRT to a household hazardous waste collection facility (HHWCF) for disposal? Top
A:  No, CRTs must be brought to Burrtec Waste.

Q:  What do you do with an old refrigerator, washer or dryer? Top
A:  Buy new appliances from a store that will remove your old one and recycle it. Other resources for removal of “white goods” are the following:
High Desert Appliances: (760) 256-3302
Dead or Alive: (760) 256-4692
SCE: (800) 234-9722
Burrtec Waste: (760) 256-2730

Q:  What about a hot water heater? Top
A:  Have your plumber take the old one back OR you can bring it to Burrtec Waste for FREE! Burrtec is located at 2340 W. Main St. in Barstow and is open Monday through Saturday during normal business hours.

Q:  What about the mattress and box springs you have in the garage? Top
A:  If it has had a “full” life, it can be taken to the landfill.

Q:  What about worn-out tires? Top
A:  Buy your tires at a store that will take your old ones back. Sell or donate tires to a friend or civic group. After you have exhausted all of these sources you can bring up to 9 tires to Burrtec Waste FREE during normal business hours Monday through Saturday.

Q:  Where do you take your household hazardous waste? Top
A:  To the Household Hazardous Waste Bin free every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., 900 South Ave. “H”, City Corporation Yard. Don’t forget to bring your cooking oil, expired medications, and your toner/laser printer cartridges. We have containers to use for recycling your oil and filters. Ask an attendant for one while you’re there and don’t forget to check out the material we have for free. Do you need paint, oil or shampoo? We probably have it there. (Closed the weekend after Christmas.)


HOW DO I . . .

Q:  I’m a business owner. What should I do with my old computer monitors? Top
A:  The options for businesses are very similar to the options of householders. First, try to maximize reuse of the equipment both internally and externally, for example, through donation programs. If the equipment cannot be reused, the CRTs should be sent to a refurbisher or a recycler. If necessary, the CRTs may be stored, in a safe manner, until they can be recycled. See below for contact information.

Q:  Can a business take CRTs to a HHWCF? Top
A:  HHWCFs in San Bernardino County DO NOT ACCEPT CRTs from businesses.  See below for contacts for business waste.