Services Code Compliance Provides to the Community

Code Compliance is tasked with making sure residents and businesses are complying with the municipal code. The Code Compliance division of the Community and Economic Development Department routinely handles code violations within city limits like abandoned vehicles, trash on property or illegal dumping not in process, excessive weeds, fence and external building maintenance, unsecured abandoned property, unsecured refrigerators, untreated swimming pools, sign maintenance, and business licensing. Code Compliance also enforces the city's water conservation ordinance, which bans watering at certain times of day during the hottest months of the year. For concerns with any of these types of issues, residents or businesses should call code enforcement at (760) 255-5190.

To assist us with better serving you, if the property’s residence is located in the …

East Barstow  Area:  Contact  Officer Willbond  at (760) 255-5190 
West Barstow Area: Contact Officer Willbond at (760) 255-5190
South of the Interstate 15: Contact Officer Willbond at (760) 255-5190

To determine whether your residence is within the City of Barstow jurisdiction...

City Limits property address shall be four digits and under. Example: 1234 Main Street ~ Is within the Barstow City Limits
County Limits property address shall be five digits. Example: 12345 Main Street ~ Is County Limits
If your residence resides under County jurisdiction, please call (760) 995-8140 or (909) 387-3811 for information.

Days and Hours of Operation
Tuesday-Friday 6:00a-4:00p.

Contact Information
Mary Willbond
Code Compliance Supervisor
(760) 255-5190

County Code Enforcement or (909) 387-3811

Services Not Provided by the City’s Code Compliance

The City of Barstow's Code Compliance staff receives a plethora of calls on issues in which they simply do not have the authority or resources to help the resident or business. Although many of the requests for help are valid, city staff must redirect them to the relevant agency so they can get the help they need. In an effort to reduce the numbers of calls a resident or business must make to receive the help they need with the least amount of run around, we have put together the following resource list for commonly requested services not covered by code enforcement:

Crimes in progress should be reported to the police dispatcher at (760) 256-2211.  Life threatening emergencies should be reported to 9-1-1. Illegal dumping occurring within city limits should be reported by calling the police dispatcher (760) 256-2211. Illegal dumping in progress will be referred to a police officer; illegal dumping not in progress will be referred to Code Compliance.

Vermin such as bugs, rats, bees, etc. — Refer to the yellow pages for pest control.The Barstow Fire Protection District (BFPD) has had some success with swarming bees and they may provide assistance if there is an immediate public safety issue. BFPD can be reached at (760) 256-2254.  Vermin issues in and around restaurants should be referred to the Health Department at (760) 256-4736. All bug infestations (i.e. roaches/bed bugs/mosquitos) and polluted pool case call Vector Control at (800) 442-2283.

Dangerous animal  threatening public safety (bobcats and mountain lions are presumed dangerous) — Call 9-1-1. Other animal issues call the Humane Society at (760) 252-4800,  Office Hours Tuesday thru Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Any problem between a landlord and a tenant, such as issues about rent, repair and maintenance of property, etc. — Call the City's Building Division at (760) 255-5161

Mobile Home Parks — The City of Barstow has no authority. Please contact State Housing Community Development at (800) 952-8356 or

Building structural issues, walls falling over, roof caving in, electrical malfunction, etc. — Call the City’s Building Division at (760) 255-5161.

Code Compliance issues outside the city limits — Call San Bernardino County Code Enforcement at (909) 387-3811.

Health related problems with food handlers, restaurants, public access swimming pools such as motels and apartment complexes — Call the San Bernardino County Environment Health Department at (800) 442-2283.

Problems with city streets, parks and facilities, (including the Sportspark and Harvey House) — Call the City Corporation Yard at (760) 255-5140.

Sewer system overflows which occur during normal business hours should be directed to the Industrial Pre-treatment Inspector at (760) 252-3543. If you spot a sewer manhole overflow after normal business hours, call the Barstow Police Department dispatch at (760) 256-2211.